Sunday, August 23, 2009

Of Family & Friends

**This post is in response to the many enquiries through MSN and facebook that I got after my initial post**

By now, most of you would have realised, I am 13 hours by plane, 7 hours behind from my family and friends in Malaysia. For those who just found out, I left Malaysia on 2nd April and have been doing a little travelling and searching for a job at the same time.
Back to the topic, having spent my entire life in Malaysia prior to leaving, this is of course a huge step for me, something that I was both very excited and worried at the same time.
Part of my concern is that I will forget my roots, not that I will forget that I am still essentially Malaysian, but those people who made me - family & friends.
Being the rebel that I am, I decided to step out of my family's norm by getting a tattoo. Yes, that particular tattoo that you see above. It's a heart with the words family and friends etched on it. Painful? Nope. Irritating? Yes...
You see, I kinda have a high tolerance for pain. When the needle first went in, I did not feel anything, nor did when the artist was layering the colour.
It is however, quite irritating, it felt like someone was running their finger nails deep into my skin, the type of feeling where you would not go "Ouch!" but rather feel like flipping and throwing a punch at someone! But I can't do that, my tattoo artist is a she, and hitting someone while they have a needle in your skin is not quite a wise thing to do ;)

The meaning behind the design

"Why the design?", you might ask. Family and friends are the most important people in my life, those who will always be there for me come rain or shine and who has touched and shaped my life in more than one way.

I keep them very close to my heart and even more so now that I am so far away.

I must say the artist did capture what I had in mind very well - all I brought along was a coloured heart (something like those you get in your high school text books)! The rest was left to the artist to do her magic and she did not disappoint with the masterpiece on the left.
I chose my left shoulder as there is no way the design would fit onto my left chest, and also as a sign of the non-conditional support they always give me. If ever I forget what's important in my life or ever lose my way in life, I just have to look into the mirror, and I will see the reflection of my tattoo, a kind reminder of what's dearest to me - Family and Friends.
Thus the summary is as follow:
Family and Friends - The most important people in my life
Heart - A place where I keep my family and friends
Location - Back of my shoulder, sign of support
Comments are much appreciated :)

2 comments:

  1. Ben, I do believe that, you will remember where you come from,and your family and friends not because of the tattoo at your back. But the tattoo deep inside your heart. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, just wanted to have something permanent as a reminder just in case I forget :) Furthermore, being the rebel I am, I always wanted a tattoo ;)

    ReplyDelete