Thursday, March 4, 2010

LV gave me a FREE Gift!!!! - Part 2 ;)


As promised, here's part 2 ;) Read Part 1 here

LV - Epitome of class, Zenith of Customer Relations Management


Culprit 2 - Louis Vuitton, Luxury retailer, operating in a highly competitive market where brand loyalty is paramount, depending on situations, buyer might not be end user (*hint hint*), demanded by those who aspire to climb the echelon of status or reward themselves or others for reaching certain milestones, customer focused.

Scenario - I made an online purchase of a significant amount. However, a day after making the purchase and well aware that there is a full refund policy in place, I called 4 times to cancel the order before the delivery was made. However, I was told each time by the customer service personnel that there is no way to cancel the order. The item was then delivered to my house and I made another call with regards to the refund process, I was then told I could have refused to accept the item when DHL delivers it, however, this was made known to me after my housemate has signed for the item.

Facts - I proceeded to open the box, the bag was lovely, it came in a very nice gift box and had a complimentary card too, for you to write something for the final recipient, impressive.

Also included in the package was the Term of Sale, having time to burn, I thus read it, and was astonished that although 4 (YES, FOUR!!!) CSP told me that there is NO WAY the sale and delivery could be cancelled, there was indeed a clause to allow for that!!!

Enraged, as I will be leaving in a day for Malaysia, I first went to the post office to send the box back to LV and then proceeded with a very carefully worded and time stamped email to LV.

I even went as far as including the said Clause which gave me the right to cancel the transaction and of course, the infamous Ben's use of words (One Ms. Tee would agree, read her blog here), quite sharply worded, but not rude or in any way too direct. Also, the most important fact that I will be away and uncontactable from the period 8 - 20th Feb :)
Surprise, Surprise :)
Recourse - I got a pleasant surprise in my e-mail last week - sitting in my Inbox was a confirmation of purchase from LV and that my item has been dispatched! Hmmm... I was sure I did not make subsequent purchases other than THAT purchase which has been returned. Weird...

I then checked my LV account (there's another story behind this, wait for Part 3) and there it was, my 'order' with a GBP0.00 value. Nice, something free from LV to it's members perhaps?
The package arrived that same afternoon I received the above email. I opened it, and I reached for the very nicely folded envelope with the words "Louis Vuitton" nicely embossed and lacquered on the bottom right, there it was, a letter with my name, addressed in full (not with the annoying European manner of initialing your first name), and signed off by the Manager of European Customer Service! Nice touch.
The gist of the letter was a very direct apology, no beating around the bush, just a straightforward apology and an assurance that the CSP has been briefed about the existence of such clause to prevent future occurrence of a similar event. It kinda makes me feel like making another purchase and then calling to cancel the transaction and see if indeed the above is true. Should I? ;)
Further, a reservation with regards to my account (Coming in Part 3) was also addressed in the same letter and of course the mention of the FREE GIFT :)
A tale of being class apart
So there, 2 very different approach by 2 very different companies in dealing with customer complains. One hid behind clauses and ridiculed it's customers and the other was embracing complains and rewarding it's customers. LV, epitome of class? Not only that, zenith of Customer Relations Management! :)
Royal Mail's attitude kinda reminds me of Malaysia in general, particularly when dealing with government agencies, the tidak apa attitude, being lackadaisical for the foreign readers and just ignoring customer's views and take for granted their importance. I guess the grass is not always greener on the other side eh? Same s*it even when oceans apart ;)

Lastly, the letter did thank me for my custom with LV and indeed I will return to LV for some future purchases, not anytime soon, but surely, sometime in the future :D
Regards,
Ben Lai

No comments:

Post a Comment